Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Rhubarb Custard Pie



I grew up eating this pie. My mom would make one or two every year when rhubarb was in season - it's definitely a family favorite. I think the recipe came from the old, falling apart, three-ring, Betty Crocker Cookbook which I'm sure my mom still uses - a lot!  Our rhubarb patch is thriving this year, thanks to a good dose of manure earlier this Spring and maybe because of the cool weather we've had so far this summer.



My father-in-law had a birthday last week. He and my husband prefer pie to the more traditional cake, so we often make pies for their birthdays. Mark's mom made a delicious Strawberry Pie and I brought a Rhubarb Custard Pie. They actually tasted quite good together if you, like me, were to have a little slice of each on your plate. Add vanilla ice cream, and you've got the perfect birthday treat. Happy Birthday!



Mom's Rhubarb Custard Pie

3 eggs
3 tablespoon milk
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup flour
3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
4 cups rhubarb, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tablespoon butter
one recipe Pate Brisee

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a large bowl, beat eggs slightly and add milk. In a medium bowl, mix together the sugar, flour, and nutmeg. Add the sugar mixture to the egg mixture and whisk to combine. Add the rhubarb and stir to combine. Pour the mixture into the pastry-lined pan. Dot with 1 T butter and cover with top crust and crimp edges. If desired, brush the top crust with egg wash and sprinkle with Turbinado sugar. With a knife, cut 4 holes in the top of the crust to allow steam to escape. Bake for 50-60 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature and then refrigerate until ready to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin