Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving Cookies

Happy Thanksgiving!

A little Thanksgiving Trivia for you to ponder as you sit down to eat your Thanksgiving dinner...

Sarah Josepha Hale, born in New Hampshire in 1788, was a teacher, a writer, and a supporter of women's rights. She was also a single mother of five children after her husband died during the pregnancy of their fifth child. She spent 40 years writing to congressmen, lobbying five presidents, and writing numerous editorials in her campaign to create an national official day of thanks. Before then, it was only celebrated in New England states. President Lincoln was the first president to declare Thanksgiving a national holiday in 1863 as a result of Sarah's efforts. Thank you Sarah Hale!


4 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving! Amazing cookies. So happy that you visited my blog today, I never realised that Thanksgiving wasn't always a celebration....I salute Sarah too. What a woman. Where would the world be without those like her? Have a great holiday xo Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deanna, On here to find your sugar cookie recipe. You have inspired me to get a little more serious about decorating my sugar cookies and I bought my first little kit at William Sonoma. Wish me luck! I miss our xmas cookie baking parties. Maybe next year! Hope you guys are doing well. Hi to everyone!
    Molly

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin