Friday, May 6, 2011

Quick and Easy Cake Decorating



I'm always looking for ways to spruce up a cake without messing with piping bags and tips. To be honest, washing piping bags and tips is tedious and time consuming, so I try to avoid it if I can. Using an offset spatula to make swirls and stripes can be just as pretty and can save a lot of time.

Lately, my favorite way to spruce up the sides of a cake is shown here. The trick is to have a nice thick layer of frosting at least 1/2 inch thick around the sides of the cake.

Decide which side of the cake will be the back before you begin and start each row at the back because you'll see that the last swirl is hard to finish without running into the first swirl just a little.

Then, holding a large offset spatula parallel to the working surface, begin the top row of swirls. Rock the rounded tip of the spatula into the frosting and then slide and rock the spatula backward, away from the indent you just made, while easing up on the pressure. The spatula does not lift from the icing completely until you have finished the entire row. Repeat the rocking and sliding until you have gone all the way around the cake. Starting at the back of the cake again, repeat the process for additional rows.

The cake you see here is a small 6" 4-layer cake and two rows were perfect. My typical 8-inch 3-layer cake will take three rows of swirls.

It's pretty, it's quick, and clean-up is a breeze!


13 comments:

  1. What a unique way to frost a cake. Joni

    ReplyDelete
  2. My birthday is August 31st...just saying!


    janet xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOhhhh that looks so yummy!! Just calling for a big glass of milk for the perfect after school snack!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! I, too, would prefer not to mess with piping bags. Just too much of a bother. I love the look of this cake. Simple, yet glam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute, and simple cake decorating! I also hate cleaning piping bags! I am horrible for the environment and use the disposable ones, just so I don't have to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE The quote! A certain 6 year old I know feels famous! This cake looks amazing, but if needed, I'll clean your piping bags anytime. A big soapy warm sink and lots to wash is somehow relaxing to me...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the way you frosted the cake! I'm glad you told us how you did it, but if you ever have a chance, a step-by-step photo tutorial would be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so pretty - so nice to know we don't need to get out that pesky bag!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This effect is so pretty yet so simple. Why didn't I think of that? It looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahaha..yeah, so true, what looks so pretty on the cakes most of the time created all the mess backstage :)
    Great idea you have ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's easy to see how creamy the buttercream is with its perfectly lovely swirls.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness...my heart just stopped! I happened to click on this and saw your new header and didn't realize it was you...I thought there was another Marzipan out there in bloggy land! I will certainly try this on my next cake...I'm getting good at the baking part, now I need to take it to the next level and get them looking super pretty too :) PS...lunch was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's awesome! What a great way to decorate a cake!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin